Introduction to Project Management
Intro to Project Management Fundamentals
Starting a career in Project Management? This workshop introduces you to the principles and practices of structured project management. You will gain a comprehensive overview of the skills, knowledge, and tools needed to effectively manage projects. You will learn how to build key project planning deliverables including a project charter, a stakeholder communications plan, schedule, cost and a risk response strategy. Class discussion and group exercises will reveal best practices from both the Project Management Institute (PMI) framework. Learn all 10 areas and five process groups of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge® (Current Edition), established by the Project Management Institute as the industry standard for project-management instruction.
As a result of participating in this project management workshop, you will be able to
- Anticipate and manage the special challenges of projects.
- Recognize real-world constraints and the dynamics in a project environment.
- Identify the 10 aspects of a project that must be managed.
- Describe the many roles of the project manager.
- Develop a project charter and use the charter as a key political tool.
- Recognize the components of a complete project plan.
- Facilitate a breakdown of the work at hand and build a meaningful schedule.
- Identify, analyze, and prioritize response strategies for project risks.
- Determine the critical path for a project from its network diagram.
- Communicate project progress through project variances and corrective action plans.
Introduction to the five process groups
Introduction to the ten knowledge areas
Developing key project deliverables
Formally closing the project
- Student Slides
- Class exercise simulating a real project
Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.